Wednesday, August 10, 2005

An Interview With Oscar Charleston

Oscar McKinley Charleston, Player-Manager of the Harrisburg Giants, sat for a rare interview with the Blogmaster. The interview actually took place through the magic of the APBA Major League Baseball Game at Charlie's home in 1925 (I can't explain) on 16th Street in Harrisburg, PA. I found myself at the Charleston home after attending Sunday Mass at St. Francis Catholic Church around the corner on Market Street. The home is located at 12 South 16th Street and, when I last viewed it in 2005, had been converted to a two family home. I drive by there often and seeing its condition and the vibrant nature of what I new to be a quiet and somewhat rundown neighborhood caused me to park the car and approach the house. Once close I saw the neatly dressed, friendly woman sweeping the sidewalk and I remarked about the street; its life; its well manicured little gardens; the design of the street lights; the cars (the cars!). Where was I. It turned out she was Jane Blalock Charleston; Mrs. Oscar Charleston; and she invited my woozy self onto her porch for some lemonade and a nice seat on a swininging chair. It was not long before Oscar Charleston arrived home in full uniform having played a game in Lancaster that day. After some awkward introductions (between a pair of timetravelers) Mr. Charleston graciously sat for an interview:

Me: It is truly a pleasure to meet you; I am a big fan and have followed your life and career for quite a while.
OC: So I see ... I don't pretend to understand but I don't think it benefits your or my purpose to spend too much time wondering about this happenstance of a meeting. What can I do for you?
Me: Are you enjoying this season playing such a formidable schedule?
OC: It is a challenge I sought for all my life. I played the best players in the world but to take the field against Ty Cobb was a moment I dreamt of and to beat his Tigers 4 of 5 was a great thrill and the Babe, a great ol' guy, the greatest of them all, to play that Murderer's Row squad was also a long sought match. I look forward to meeting Barry Bonds in a few weeks. His playing abilities remind me of mine at a younger age. I hit with such a power and speed combination as is his fashion.
Me: What are some highlights of the season so far?
OC: I'm excited about Beckwith's run at .400 and Geechie's 5-0 start. Can he win 30? My homer total is 13 you know. I'd love to beat Ruth's record. As far as the highlight game; I very much enjoyed the series with the Crawfords. Even the loss was stirring.
Me: Do you read the Blog?
OC: No; but the Patriot News covers all the games as if playing a team from 2004, like those champion Red Sox, is normal.
Me: Are you aware of the fact that you are in the National Base Ball Hall of Fame?
OC: Yes ... very proud of that ... me and Cool. I am also aware that it is likely many more players from my day; from my leagues; may be installed next year.
Me: Who do you think belongs in the Hall that is not in?
OC: Well, I know I'm in and I know I belong but I'm not sure who all is in ... if I was selecting I'd pick Santop and Gibson; ol' Ben Taylor at first; Bingo at second; Henry Lloyd at short; the Ghost at the hot corner; Torriente, Dihigo, and Rap Dixon as the flyhawks; of course I'd have Satch on the mound. Seems I named a couple of Harrisburg Giants there. I thought Rogan was the greatest all around player; perhaps more versatile than Dihigo. Dismukes could also pitch.
Me: Do you have...
OC: Just a second. I'm not done.
OC: I played baseball before the Negro Leagues were formed and I was still managing, and occasionally pinch hitting, after their demise. I played outfield in my youth. I want to tell you about the greatest outfields I ever played with. In 1918-19 I played for the Chicago American Giants under Rube Foster. My partners in the outfield were Christobal Torriente and Jimmie Lyons. (NOTE: I did not interject but Jess Barbour saw more playing time than Lyons in '19 and both Duncan & Hill saw more time than both Charlie & Lyons in '18). Later, in Cuba with the Santa Clara Base Ball Club, I patrolled the pickets with the great Alexandro Oms and Pablo Mesa. Now, that was an outfield; certainly the best that you never heard of young man. In 1922-23, winter you understand, me an Oms both hit over .400. But the best outfield I ever played with; the best I may humbly add that I have ever seen; was the outfield of these Harrisburg Giants - me in center between two other centerfielders; Rap Dixon played right with his cannon of an arm and he was a great hitter. A feared hitter. Went to Japan and wooed the Emperor with his bat. In left was little Clarence Jenkins; not an ounce of wasted flesh on him yet for some reason we called him Fat. Fat Jenkins. Him and Georgie Fiall on our team were cagers. They were great basketball players; the pair of them; so we called them "the heavenly twins". However, good as Fats was at basketball; I believe he was better at baseball. All of those outfielders: Torriente, Hill, Lyons, Oms, Mesa, Jenkins, Dixon and others are Hall of Fame candidates. I hope Rap gets his due in '06. This Blog can help that you know.
Me: What about the ti...
Jane: Do you boys want some more lemonade?

With that I was off the porch, in the street, looking at the duplex on the shabby street. A few youngsters ran by me to the porch in response to the entreaties of the mother offering refreshment to the neighborhood. While, in a sense, I felt welcome and invited; I got back in my car and drove back to my world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ted.
I'm really enjoying the following Giants' season. I especially enjoyed the "interview" with Oscar Charleston. There's a touch of Darryl Brock in there that's charming. I'm looking forward to more interviews with the greats.
MakoJo

Tee said...

Thank you ... you are not the first to request a recurring role for Mr. Charleston. At the moment I am very behind - 17 games - in my simulating games. Time to get to work.